Charro BeansFrom bojangles42 4 years ago
- 8 oz dried pinto beans (rinsed, picked, and soaked over night in water) shopping list
- 6 slices bacon shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 fresh Anaheim or Ancho chiles shopping list
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeds removed, diced finely shopping list
- 1/2 c cilantro chopped shopping list
- 2 T brown sugar shopping list
- 2 T cider vinegar shopping list
- 8 oz tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 teas @ ground cumin, oregano, chile powder (I use ground chipotle) shopping list
- 1 teas salt shopping list
- 1 teas black pepper shopping list
- 4 c chicken stock shopping list
- 4+ c water shopping list
How to make it
- Grill or roast the Anaheim or Ancho chiles until the outside is blackened.
- Place in a Paper or plastic bag. Seal
- When cool, remove the charred membrane
- Open and remove the seeds
- Coarsely chop and reserve
- Slice the bacon into 1/2 pieces
- Fry the bacon over med/high heat in soup pot
- When the bacon is crispy add the onion and garlic and continue to fry until the onion starts the brown on the edges
- Add the chicken stock
- Add the pinto beans
- Add the chiles and the jalapeno
- Add water , if needed to cover the beans.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer
- Cover, simmer for 60 minutes, adding more water as needed
- Stir occasionally
- Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, cumin, oregano, pepper and salt.
- Continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced and the beans thicken
- Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in the cilantro
- Serve with corn bread or tortillas
The Cookbojangles42 Rochester, MN
- Not added to any groups yet!