Authentic Jamaican Jerk SeasoningsFrom foodcrazy100 5 years ago
- • 1/2 cup ground allspice berries shopping list
- • 1/2+ cup packed brown sugar shopping list
- • 6 to 8 garlic cloves shopping list
- • 4 to 6 scotch bonnet peppers (or substitute habaneros), seeds and stems removed. shopping list
- • 1 tablespoon ground thyme or 2 tablespoons thyme leaves shopping list
- • 2 bunches escallions (green onions) shopping list
- • 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- • salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- • 2 tablespoons soy sauce to moisten( shopping list
- • A small piece of ginger shopping list
How to make it
- Place allspice, brown sugar, garlic, scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, scallions, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, soy and ginger sauce in a Blender and blend until smooth.
- You may use allspice berries, if available, but use enough to give the equivalent of 1/2 cup ground. (Allspice berries and scotch bonnets are key ingredients.) Keep this sauce refrigerated and it will keep forever. Feel free to increase the hot peppers and garlic.
- Rub the meat (chicken, pork or beef) with the seasoning. If using a pork shoulder, score the fat and rub in. With chicken, be sure to rub under skin and in cavities. Can also be used with fish and other sea food, but use a firm-fleshed fish like grouper or snapper.
- Marinate overnight. Grill over a low fire until done. Charcoal is best, but not essential. Meat will be smoked "pinkish" when done, and the skin will be nice and dark. Chop meat into pieces, and serve traditionally with Jamaican hard-dough bread, festival… a sweet fried dumpling, and Jamaican Red Stripe Beer