Apple PieFrom quaypocooks 5 years ago
- Filling Ingredients: shopping list
- 4 green apples (sliced) shopping list
- 1 tb fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2 C sugar shopping list
- 1/2 C brown sugar, firmly packed shopping list
- 2 tb all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 ts ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 ts ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1 ts vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 tb butter shopping list
- pie crust - Ingredients: shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling shopping list
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 4 to 8 Tbsp ice water shopping list
How to make it
- Method for filling
- In a bowl, mix sliced apple with lemon juice set aside. In a mixing blow, mix sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and add sliced apple. Add vanilla extract and put aside.
- Method for Pie Crust
- Cut the sticks of butter into 1/2-inch cubes and place in the freezer for 15 minutes to an hour (the longer the better) so that they become thoroughly chilled.
- Dough is ready to shape.
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add butter and mixed well with flour. Using s spatula, cut the cutter into smaller pieces and keep on coating the butter with flour.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl and place in a mound on a clean surface. Gently shape into 2 discs. Knead the dough just enough to form the discs, do not over-knead. You should be able to see little bits of butter in the dough. These small chunks of butter are what will allow the resulting crust to be flaky. Sprinkle a little flour around the discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, and up to 2 days.
- Remove one crust disk from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes in order to soften just enough to make rolling out a bit easier. Roll out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch circle; about 1/8 of an inch thick. As you roll out the dough, check if the dough is sticking to the surface below. If necessary, add a few sprinkles of flour under the dough to keep the dough from sticking. Carefully place onto a 9-inch pie plate. Gently press the pie dough down so that it lines the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Use a pair of kitchen scissors to trim the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edge of the pie dish.
- Final Step
- Add filling to the pie
- Roll out second disk of dough, as before. Cut out strips of about ½ inch to lay each strip of dough on the pie and seal both ends by pressing down the on the edge. Dot with butter.
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F, and bake for 45 minutes.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookquaypocooks Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
- Not added to any groups yet!