Creme BruleeFrom tlbnitz 4 years ago
How to make it
- Using a wire whisk or mixer fitted with a whip attachment, Vigorously whisk egg yolks and sugar until mixture becomes light in color and sugar has dissolved.
- In a medium saucepan, combine heavy cream with vanilla (beans + pods or extract) Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Gradually pour the cream mixture into the egg sugar mix, Whisking gently my hand to combine. Strain through a fine mesh sieve ( if using bean retrieve pod and place back in custard) Cover with plastic wrap and pierce several time s with a knife to release any steam.
- Chill mixture for 3 -4 hours or overnight is using the pod to allow flavors to develop and custard to thicken a bit
- Preheat oven to 350 and place ramekins in a baking pan large enough to hold 8 - 10 6 ounce custard cups, and deep enough to allow water to come halfway up the sides.
- Remove the bean if using and fill cups 3/4 full. Pour hot water into pan until half way up the sides of cups, Caver with tinfoil and carefully place pan in oven. Cook 40 -50 minutes until custards are set. To test for doneness gently shake individual ramekins if center is still wobbly return to oven and continue cooking checking every 5- 7 minutes until set, with a small area in the center the size of a quarter still a bit loose.
- Remove from baking pan and chill several hours or until chilled though.
- To serve put a small layer of sugar atop each custard. Using a blowtorch, over a heat and flameproof surface caramelize the sugar working from the outside in towards the middle keeping torch in a constant motion. Sugar should be golden brown and never black..
- let sugar cool a few mins top with whip cream (optional) and serve
The Cooktlbnitz Calgary, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!