Oven-baked Beef Short RibsFrom FavoriteFixins 4 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 5 lbs. short ribs of beef shopping list
- 5Tbsp. flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. pepper shopping list
- 4 tbsp. bacon drippings or olive oil shopping list
- 2 onions, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped shopping list
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar shopping list
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard shopping list
- 1/2 cup Heinz Chili Sauce or any BBQ sauce shopping list
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 cup red wine shopping list
- 1 cup beef broth shopping list
- 8-12 pearl onions, peeled shopping list
- 8-12 baby carrots, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Use a cast iron or other heavy wide skillet or pan that is also ovenproof.
- Remove any membranes (or silverskin) from short ribs.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper and rub into the ribs.
- Brown them in the bacon fat or olive oil in a large skillet, turning as they brown. Add chopped onions, garlic and parsley.
- When browned, pour off all but a small portion of the drippings remaining in pan. Add remaining ingredients except the pearl onions and carrots.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then cover the pan and transfer to a preheated 325°F oven and bake for 90 minutes. Add onions and carrots, reduce heat to 250°F and bake for another hour or until ribs are fork tender, basting occasionally.
- These ribs are excellent when cooked on the grill or in a smoker. Maintain a temperature of 250-300°F until tender, basting occasionally with beef broth as needed.