Crispy Fried Chicken WingsFrom pkusmc 5 years ago
- 3-4 lbs chicken wings, halved and washed shopping list
- 2 cups buttermilk shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 3 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers shopping list
- 1 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp thyme shopping list
- 1 tbs salt shopping list
- pinch of garlic powder shopping list
- 4 cups vegetable shortening shopping list
- Buffalo Sauce (Optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Mix one egg into buttermilk.
- Place halved chicken wings in a bowl and coat with the buttermilk/egg mixture and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes, refrigerated.
- In a bowl, add all remaining ingredients, except the crushed Saltines
- Place crushed Saltines in a separate bowl (toss a little black, or cayenne pepper in there, too, if you like)
- In a deep skillet heat the vegetable to approximately 350 degrees. A deep fry, or candy thermometer works great for this
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and then back into the buttermilk mix, finishing them in the saltine cracker mix (it's ok to double dip, here!)
- Allow chicken to sit for a five minutes to allow the coating to 'grab hold' of the chicken skin
- Fry in oil for ten minutes, turning often. Do not over crowd the deep fryer
- Remove from the oil allowing residue to drip off before putting on a plate lined with paper towels, or toss them in a paper bag.
- For bare wings, sprinkle additional salt on chicken immedeiately and serve.
- For Buffalo, immediately place the wings and sauce into a sealable container. I use my 4 QT sauce pan with the lid on it. Shake until they're completely coated, and serve.