Tee's MusselsFrom Teebonemendez 4 years ago
- 2kg of cleaned mussels (I usually use black shell mussels but I have also flirted with the New Zealand green-lip mussels for similar results) shopping list
- 1 largish onion shopping list
- 1/2 a fresh whole chili (or use the whole lot if you like) shopping list
- 500 gram tin of chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 3 cloves of garlic (chopped reasonably fine) shopping list
- a slurp or two of white wine shopping list
- 1 lemon (quartered) shopping list
- 4 spring onions (aka scallions, shallots or green onions), chopped reasonably fine shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil shopping list
- 12-15 basil leaves chopped shopping list
- A loaf of crusty bread shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, garlic and chilli and cook for about a minute.
- Add the mussels and wine and replace the lid on the pot and cook for two minutes.
- Add the tomato (with the juice), the quartered lemon and stir well before replacing the lid.
- Cook on a high heat for two minutes
- Add spring onions and cook until the shells are open (1-3 minutes)
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with basil
- Serve into bowls (be sure to add some of the juice from the bottom of the pot) along side some bread
- Remember that you should throw away any of the mussels that haven't opened rather than trying to pry open.
- I'll have to take a photo next time I make these and upload.