Gramma's Fruit Cocktail CakeFrom jo_jo_ba 5 years ago
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cups flour shopping list
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour shopping list
- 14 oz canned fruit cocktail (in juice, undrained) shopping list
- 1/3 cup glace cherries, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried pineapple, chopped shopping list
buttermilk Soaker Glaze
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 tbsp buttermilk shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 tbsp light rum (or Amaretto) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9" x 13" pan.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar until pale yellow. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk baking soda, salt and flours together.
- Add half the flour mixture to the eggs, beating well, then add fruit cocktail and mix in thoroughly.
- Add remaining flour mixture, glace cherries and pineapple and mix in.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Buttermilk Soaker Glaze
- While cake bakes, bring sugar, buttermilk and butter in a small saucepan to a boil. Cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum, then pour over hot cake.
- Spread evenly with the back of a spoon and allow cake to sit 2 hours (preferably until completely cool).