Rich Red Wine & Beef StewFrom gourmetana 3 years ago
- 3 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 lb beef stew meat, cut into cubes shopping list
- 2 onions, chopped shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 cups good quality red wine, I use portuguese red wine of course :) shopping list
- 1 cup beef or vegetable stock or water if you don't have stock in your pantry shopping list
- 2 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 cups frozen peas shopping list
How to make it
- Using a dutch oven brown the meat in the olive oil.
- Add onions and let them cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionaly.
- Add garlic, carrot, celery and tomato paste. Stir to combine and add wine and stock or water.
- Put the lid on and cook over low heat for about 30 to 40 minutes. Take a pick every 15 minutes and stir.
- Taste the stew sauce and season to taste with pepper and salt. I usually don't add salt since I find the wine richness strong enough.
- Add the peas at this point and stir. The peas don't need to be thawed, just wash them in water.
- Put the lid back on and cook for another 15 minutes.
- It is ready to serve!
People Who Like This Dish 15
The Cookgourmetana Aveiro, Portugal
The Rating2 people
What a find! On the surface it seems like a pretty typical beef stew, but what great flavor! And the meat turned out more tender than an identical pot roast I carefully slow-cooked a couple weeks ago. This is going to to be my standard beef stew from...moredaddydoug in Seattle loved it
This was great! I thought it would be way to wine-y tasting and it wasn't! It's very important to use a wine you love to drink since there is so much in it! I used veggie broth and when I tasted it I felt it needed a bit more beefy flavor so I did...moremommyluvs2cook in Santa Fe loved it