Sb's Tortilla SoupFrom sharebear1 4 years ago
- 2 ancho chile peppers shopping list
- 2 Guajilo Chile pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, sliced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed shopping list
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes shopping list
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano shopping list
- 1 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- kosher salt to taste shopping list
- 1 to 2 grilled chicken breasts or leftover shredded chicken, sliced shopping list
- 3/4 to 1 cup crumbled queso fresco shopping list
- 1 avocado, diced shopping list
- Fresh cilantro shopping list
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried shopping list
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- 1.Place dried chiles in a bowl, cover with hot water and soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain the chiles, (reserve 1/3 cups water from chiles) pull out the stems and most of the seeds and transfer to a blender (or food processor) add about 1/3 water from chiles and process to make a smooth-ish puree.
- 2.Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes with their juice, chile puree, the coriander seeds, mexican oregano and cumin and cook about 5 minutes. Add the broth, bay leaves and thyme and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook about 30 minutes.
- 3.Using immersion blender, blend soup until all chunks are gone and its smooth. This may also be done in batches in the blender if needed.
- 4.Place a small amount of chicken, queso fresco, avocado, cilantro, fried tortilla strips and sour cream in each bowl, then pour about 1 cup hot broth around the garnishes.
- Note: This broth is a great base to add whatever quick-cooking add-ins (like beans, frozen vegetables, chopped spinach, etc.) you like and let it simmer for few more minutes. You can customize this soup to your liking.
The Cooksharebear1 Coon Rapids, MN
- Not added to any groups yet!