The Ultimate Mixed Shroom GravyFrom mrcooksalot 6 years ago
- •2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms shopping list
- •2 cups boiling water shopping list
- •1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter shopping list
- •1 large shallot, chopped (about 1/2 cup) shopping list
- •3 large garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- •1/2 pound fresh crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced shopping list
- •1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced shopping list
- •1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- •1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage shopping list
- •1 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine shopping list
- •4 1/4 cups Ultimate turkey stock or low-salt chicken broth, divided shopping list
- •1/2 cup crème fraîche shopping list
- •5 teaspoons cornstarch shopping list
- •1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon shopping list
How to make it
- On Thanksgiving, do-aheads are key. This super-savory gravy can be made a day ahead. All you have to do before serving is heat it up and stir in some tarragon. No last-minute pan-scraping and reducing required.
- Dried porcini and crème fraîche are available at many supermarkets and at specialty foods stores.
- •Place dried porcini in large bowl. Pour 2 cups boiling water over. Let stand until soft, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Using slotted spoon, transfer porcini to small bowl. Cool porcini, then chop. Pour porcini soaking liquid into medium bowl, leaving sediment behind.
- •Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic. Stir 15 seconds. Add fresh mushrooms, thyme, and sage. Sauté until mushrooms are tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to bowl. Add vermouth to skillet; boil 3 minutes, scraping up browned bits. Add 4 cups stock, fresh-mushroom mixture, porcini, and porcini liquid. Boil 10 minutes. Whisk in crème fraîche. Stir 1/4 cup stock and cornstarch in bowl to dissolve; mix into gravy. Cook until gravy coats spoon, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Rewarm before continuing.
- •Whisk tarragon into gravy and serve.
The Cookmrcooksalot Denver, U.S.A.
- Not added to any groups yet!