Chicken Tagine w Olives and preserved LemonsFrom amatullah 6 years ago
- (this recipe cannot be made with fresh lemons, if it is it will be different entirely) shopping list
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 red onion, sliced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 3/4 tsp ginger, ground shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground shopping list
- Large pinch of saffron threads (lightly toasted and crushed) shopping list
- 1 Large chicken shopping list
- 3 Cups water or chicken broth (broth is better) shopping list
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives shopping list
- 1 Large bunch cilantro chopped shopping list
- 1 Large bunch parsley chopped shopping list
- 1 preserved Lemon in salt rinsed and chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a pan.fry onion until golden meanwhile in mortar crush garlic with a pinch of salt then work in saffron, ginger, cinnamon and pepper. Stir into onions, cook until fragrant, then spread over the chicken.
- Put the chicken in a heavy saucepan or flameproof casserole so it fits snugly, add water or broth and bring to simmering point. Cover and simmer 1 1/4 hours turning over chicken 2-3 times.
- Add the olives, preserved lemon and herbs, cover again and cook for 15 min or so until the chicken is very tender. Taste the sauce if the flavor needs to be more concentrated, transfer chicken to a warm shallow serving dish, cover and keep warm, then reduce the cooking juices to a rich sauce. tilt the pan and skim off surplus fat, if like, then pour over chicken.