Cream Dream Pie (banana -coconut Cream Pie With Meringue ToppingFrom mrcooksalot 6 years ago
- For the shell: shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits shopping list
- a 3 1/2-ounce can (about 1 1/3 cups) sweetened flaked coconut, toasted shopping list
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups water shopping list
- 1 (14-ounce) can Eagle® Brand sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk) shopping list
- 3 egg yolks, beaten shopping list
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted shopping list
- 2 medium bananas shopping list
- lemon juice from concentrate shopping list
- Meringue: shopping list
- 3 egg whites shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar shopping list
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- Garnish: shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons of toasted cocconut flakes shopping list
How to make it
- Make the shell:
- In a food processor or bowl combine well the flour, the sugar, the baking powder, and the salt, add the butter, and blend the mixture until it resembles fine meal. Stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the coconut, reserving the remaining 1 tablespoon for garnish, and the egg, stirring until the mixture forms a dough. Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface several times to blend it well and press it onto the bottom and up the side of an 11-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Chill the shell for 30 minutes, line it with foil, and fill the foil with the rice. Bake the shell in the lower third of a preheated 375°F. oven for 10 minutes, remove the rice and foil carefully, and bake the shell for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until it is golden. Let the shell cool completely in the pan or a rack.
- In heavy saucepan, dissolve cornstarch in water; stir in Eagle® Brand and egg yolks. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; add margarine and vanilla. Cool slightly.
- Fold in coconut. Slice bananas; dip in lemon juice and drain. Arrange on bottom of pie crust. Pour filling over bananas; cover.
- Chill 4 hours or until set. Top with whipped cream. Garnish with toasted coconut and sliced bananas if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add the 1/3 cup sugar gradually. Continue beating egg whites until they hold a glossy peak. Spoon meringue onto filling, sealing to the edge of crust. Bake at 375° for about 10 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Spinkle the coconut flakes over topping
The Cookmrcooksalot Denver, U.S.A.
- Not added to any groups yet!