Creamy Beef And Vegetable SoupFrom jnb 3 years ago
- 1.5 lbs of beef round steak, diced shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 3 carrots, diced shopping list
- 3 celery stalks, diced shopping list
- 1 parsnip, diced shopping list
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped fine shopping list
- 1 small can mushrooms, chopped fine shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 4 medium russet potatoes, diced shopping list
- 1 can yellow hominy shopping list
- 4 tbsp butter shopping list
- 4 tbsp flour shopping list
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup red wine shopping list
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 tbsp "grill" seasoning (I use Montreal steak) shopping list
- 1 tbsp chopped chives shopping list
- dash nutmeg shopping list
- dash allspice shopping list
- dash onion powder shopping list
- 48 ounces beef stock shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a bit of olive in a large soup pot and add beef, stirring as needed until lightly browned. Add in worcestershire sauce and garlic...Add in red wine and stir to deglaze pan. Add in bay leaves and 2 cups beef stock (approx 1 can) and 1/2 to 1 cup water, so there is enough liquid to cover beef by 1 inch. Simmer beef for 45 mins-1 hour until almost tender. Add rest of beef stock and bring to a simmer. Add diced vegetables except potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in grill seasoning and other spices. Add in hominy. Add in potatoes, cook until potatoes are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In seperate pan, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook fo 2 minutes. Whisk in 1 can evaporated milk. Wisk until smooth. Cook for 6-8 minutes until thickened.
- Add roux to soup pot and stir to combine. Add milk or half and half as needed until desired consistency is reached. Cook on low for 10 minutes or until warmed through.
- This recipe is very versatile, You can use whatever veggies you have on hand and can make it lower fat by using reduced or fat free evaporated milk and/or fat free half and half. I have also made this with 1lb ground beef, browned and drained. Garnish wih shredded cheese when serving if desired. Great hearty soup on a cold winter night!