Braised Beef StewFrom frankieanne 2 years ago
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1" pieces shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 4 Tbs. flour shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 - 14 oz. cans of beef stock shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 tsp. dried Italian herb seasoning shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary shopping list
- 3 medium potatoes, red, white or Yukon, peeled or not, cut into 1" pieces (enough to make three cups) shopping list
- "Baby" carrots, cut into uniform pieces - about 3/4" (enough to make one cup) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a zip loc bag, add the meat and 3 Tbs of the flour and the salt and pepper. Seal bag and shake to coat meat (this can also be done in a bowl).
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan (this was 1/4 cup for me). Once the oil is hot, add the meat. Brown and flip, about 1 - 2 minutes per side. Transfer browned meat to a bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 1 - 2 minutes or until they start to soften a bit. Add one half of a can of beef stock, scraping up all the bits of meat on the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle remaining flour into the mixture and stir and cook until the liquid starts to thicken a bit - about 2 minutes more. Pour in the rest of the beef stock, the bay leaf, the Italian herb seasoning and the rosemary. Add the meat back into the pot, stir to mix and allow the mixture to come to a boil See Photo. Set a piece of parchment paper over the top and cover with the lid. Put the pot into the oven and let braise for 2 hours.
- Prepare the vegetables about 10 minutes before the 2 hours braise time is up so the potatoes don't get brown See Photo. After 2 hours, take the pot out of the oven and set on the stove. Set heat to medium high. Stir in the carrots and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
The Cookfrankieanne Ukiah, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!