Whole Wheat Penne With Easy Wild Mushroom SauceFrom softgrey 6 years ago
- 1/2 medium onion- finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic- minced shopping list
- 1/2 package mixed wild mushrooms shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper- to taste shopping list
- freshly grated parmesan cheese to taste - about 2 TBSP shopping list
- half and half - just a splash shopping list
- 1 cup whole wheat penne - uncooked, should yield two cups cooked pasta shopping list
- flat leaf parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Put the penne in salted water and cook according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, in a medium nonstick skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil on medium heat until soft and golden.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and stir well. *go easy on the salt, you're adding cheese later!
- Continue cooking until the mushrooms release their juices and soften up.
- Add a little liquid to de glaze the pan- i used plain water, but you could use chicken stock or white wine here.
- Turn the heat to low, and add the half and half (about one or two slow drizzles around the pan) and the grated cheese.
- Stir well until cheese melts and sauce thickens.
- Add the pasta and parsley and stir until incorporated.
- Finish with more freshly cracked pepper and parsley if desired.
- *Confession- i cooked this whole thing in a pan where I had just cooked a chicken breast with thyme- so there might have been some extra thyme left in the pan...Wouldn't hurt to add some if you have it!
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cooksoftgrey New York
- Not added to any groups yet!