Buttermilk CrostataFrom przytulanka 3 years ago
- For pastry: shopping list
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour ( or pastry or all-purpose flour) shopping list
- 16 TBS unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes shopping list
- 18 tablespoons chilled buttermilk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 2 TBS sugar shopping list
- For applesauce: shopping list
- 4 lbs apples shopping list
- cinnamon to taste shopping list
- orange peel (candied) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine flour, salt, sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter.
- Place the mixture in freezer for 2 hours or so. Then add 18 tablespoons of chilled buttermilk and 1 tablespoon of pure bourbon vanilla extract. Knead till it holds together.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces. Roll out on floured counter with pin. Brush crusts with beaten egg white and pile on apples sauce leaving a 1 inch border.Turn up and pleat edges of crust. Brush the edges with remaining egg white. Bake at 375 F(190 C) for 40 minutes.
- I baked them on tart pans but any cookie sheet (coated with parchment paper) will work.
- For applesauce:
- Peel, grate and saute the apples till tender and added cinnamon and orange peel (candied). Let cool.
The Cookprzytulanka Maspeth, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!