Chicken Baked In Banana LeavesFrom sharebear1 6 years ago
- 1 Tbsp. ground annatto seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp. Mexican oregano shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground chile de arbol powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground chile ancho powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. tumeric shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. cumin shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp coriander shopping list
- 1/2 tsp thyme shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon epazote shopping list
- 1/4 tsp allspice shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cloves shopping list
- 1 tsp. finely shredded orange peel shopping list
- juice of 1 orange shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground peppercorn shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large) shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 - 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes shopping list
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds chicken thighs (with bone) and/or drumsticks, skinned shopping list
- banana leaves shopping list
- 1 red onions, sliced and separated into rings 1/4 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
How to make it
- Place the first 12 ingredients into small dish, stir to combine. Split mixture into 2 seperate bowls.
- Salt and pepper chicken. Sprinkle half of spice mixture onto chicken, pressing into skin. Set chicken a side.
- Cut banana leaves into four to six 12x9-inch rectangles. Loosely roll up the rectangles and place in a steamer basket over, but not touching, boiling water. Cover and steam for 20 to 30 minutes or until leaves are soft and pliable. Remove and cool.
- Place stewed tomatoes into blender with, orange juice, onion and garlic. Blend until smooth. Add other half of spices to blender and blend again until smooth. Pour sauce into bowl.
- Place one or two chicken pieces on each banana leaf rectangle. Place 1-2 tablespoons of sauce over each peice of chicken. Wrap banana leaves around each serving of chicken. Place wrapped chicken pieces in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for pickled red onions, place onion rings in a stainless-steel pan; add boiling water to cover. Let stand 1 minute. Drain well. Return onion rings to saucepan; stir in vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, cracked black pepper, and 3 cloves garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Remove from heat; transfer onion mixture to a small glass bowl. Let stand until cool (about 45 minutes), stirring occasionally. To serve, carefully remove banana leaves from chicken. Serve with onions. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
The Cooksharebear1 Coon Rapids, MN
- Not added to any groups yet!