Cabbage Rolls with Garlic SauceFrom amatullah 9 years ago
- For the rolls..... shopping list
- 3 cups Uncooked white rice shopping list
- 2 tsp Minced fresh parsley shopping list
- 1kg ground beef shopping list
- 1 tsp ground allspice shopping list
- 1 tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (optional) shopping list
- 2 Large heads of cabbage shopping list
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 potatoes, Sliced into rounds shopping list
- 2 Cups canned tomato sauce shopping list
- 3 Cups water, or as needed shopping list
- 2 fresh lemons, squeezed and juice set aside. shopping list
- For the garlic Sauce.... shopping list
- 2 Cups Unflavoured natural yoghurt shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic. shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
How to make it
- First the Sauce.....
- Pour the yoghurt into a bowl. pound the garlic with the salt.Add to the yoghurt and stir until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours.
- Now the Rolls.....
- In a large bowl or pot. place the cabbage with boiled water and let sit until leaves are just tender and can be easily seperated. discard the core and any hard bits.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the uncooked rice, ground beef, parsley, allspice, pepper and curry powder until well blended.
- Pour oil into the bottom of a large pot, and spread to cover. Make a layer of Potato slices to cover the bottom of the pan and then a layer or two of cabbage leaves to cover the potato.
- The rolls should not be able to touch the bottom of the pan.
- Lay the cabbage leaves out flat on a cutting board. Place a heaped tablespoon of the beef mixture in the center of one leaf. Fold sides in towards the center, then roll up from the bottom loosely.
- Set in the pot seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture and leaves. For large leaves, you may cut them in half at the center vein.
- Sprinkle lemon juice evenly over the rolls.
- Pour tomato sauce and water over the top of rolls.
- Place a heavy dinner plate on top of the rolls to keep them from unraveling. The cooking pot should be about 2/3 full.
- The liquid should cover them by at least one inch. Adjust the amount of water if necessary. Bring to a boil, then cover, and simmer for 45 mins to 1 Hour or until all liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender.
- Serve with the Garlic sauce either to the side of plate or heaped on top of the rolls depending on taste
The Cookamatullah Perth, AU
- Not added to any groups yet!