Tomato Soup ~ Vegan (or Not...)From heirloomtomato 4 years ago
- 14 oz can chopped tomatoes - save the juice! shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 onion shopping list
- 1 carrot shopping list
- 1 celery stalk shopping list
- a few garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable broth shopping list
- fresh or dried basil - 1/4 cup chopped fresh, heaping Tbsp for dried shopping list
- fresh or dried flat leaf parsley - 1/4 cup chopped fresh, heaping Tbsp for dried shopping list
- few splashes of hot sauce shopping list
Substitutions &/or Additions
- 1 cup chicken broth instead of vegetable broth shopping list
- half & half or similar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Drain tomatoes & reserve the liquid.
- Toss the tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil & salt & pepper to taste
- Spread them out on a baking sheet & roast them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot, & celery.
- Coat the bottom of a saucepan (2-3 qt size is fine) with a healthy layer of olive oil & put on low/medium low heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, & garlic and cook over the low-ish heat for about 10 minutes.
- Then add the roasted tomatoes, broth, reserved tomato juice, & bay leaf to the saucepan.
- Simmer everything until the veggies are tender - time varies depending on how finely the veggies were chopped. Check at 15 minutes.
- Finely chop the basil & parsley and add it towards the end of cooking.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Let soup cool for a bit, toss in about 6 or 7 drops of hot sauce, & then puree it with an immersion blender (easiest) or normal blender or food processor.
- If you're going to add cream or butter, add it now.
The Cookheirloomtomato Minneapolis, MN
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!