Split Pea With Spinach ( Chana Dal Palak )From monik 4 years ago
- 1 small tea cup of split peas washed n soak in warm water for 2 hours shopping list
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped shopping list
- 1 medium size tomatoe roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 small buch of spinach roughly chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves chopped garlic shopping list
- 1 green chilly (opt ) shopping list
- 1 tsp mustard seed shopping list
- 1 tsp cummin seed shopping list
- 1 bay leave shopping list
- 2 tsp red chilly powder ( as per taste) shopping list
- 1 tsp garam masala powder shopping list
- 1 tsp of asofoetida ( opt ) shopping list
- 1 tsp sugar shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 2 cups of water shopping list
- 3 tsp oil shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker then slowly add asofoetida mustard seed cummin seeds n bay leave let it cook for 1 min till wonderful aroma starts raising or mustard seeds starts crackling Add finely chopped onions n garlic saute them till they are soft to quicken this process add a pinch of salt ... now add red chilly powder n garam masala powder mix well
- Add roughly chopped tomatoes and cook till spices starts leaving oil this will take 3-5 mins on medium to low flame ....
- Add soaked split peas along with salt to taste and mix all the spices well ...cook for another 2 to 3 mins then add 2 cups of water to this and close the lid of the pressure cooker .... cook for another 5-7 mins depending your pressure cooker ... the split peas should be completely cooked ....
- The last and final stage is to add spinach .... When the whole pressure is gone of the cooker open it and 1st add sugar n green chilly and then add spinach to it .... Stir well cook for next 5 mix till spinach has mixed well with the split pea ... Cook on medium flame
- Serve with Rice or flat Indian bread ( roti/ chappati) .....
- Tip :
- Spinach is totally optional .... i prefer to make with spinach .... Secondly spinach doesnt need too much of cooking as it would loose its vitamins .... Never chop spinach before hand when needed to cook chop it in that very moment ....
- My way is to break the spinach with hands which is good to make salads even in this recipe if u have baby spinach u can break it with hand as by chopping it looses all the vitamins ....
- This can stay in fridge for 3-4 days !!!! just warm it in microwave n serve ...
- Enjoy !!!!
The Cookmonik Athens, Greece
- Not added to any groups yet!