Traditional English Fish And ChipsFrom Cherrill 3 years ago
- 4 chunky white fish fillets(cod, halibut, hake, huss, etc ) shopping list
- potatoes, peeled and cut into French Fry slices (These are chips to me!) As many as you think you can eat. shopping list
- 2 cups self raising flour, plus some extra on a plate shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- I egg shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 2 one second squirts of malt vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- You will need: Either deep fat fryers or a saucepan (Us Brits have a dedicated Chip Pan,) one third full of veg oil and and shallower one, also one third full of veg oil. I know this doesn't sound like the heathiest dish - but trust me - it's great.!
- Sieve the flour.
- Beat the egg into the milk
- Combine with the flour and beat until your arm aches - or until bubbles appear on the top of the mix.
- Add the vinegar and stir. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Set aside - you can do this batter in advance by 4-5 hours but keep it chilled.
- It should be the consistency of double cream. If too thick, stir in a little more milk.
- Peel and chip the potatoes and put them in water. Ideally, do them 5-6 hours before you want to cook and change the water half way through that time.
- Ok - now, wash the fish and pat dry with kitchen towel. Dredge in the extra flour
- Heat the oil in the Chip pan
- Turn the heat on under the fish pan
- When it's good and hot in the chip pan, throw a chip in. If it sizzles and bubbles, the oil is hot enough. Put the rest in.
- Meanwhile, dip the floured fish in the batter mix and coat thoroughly. Gently slide the fish into the hot oil and cook for 5-6 minutes. The batter will puff up and turn golden brown.
- Serve immediately - and - if you want to make it really authentic, each serving should be wrapped in newspaper. Honestly! If you want to go a step futher, include buttered, sliced bread so that people can make "Chip Butties". A chip sandwich. Bliss. Provide extra salt, pepper and vinegar.
The CookCherrill Pizarra, Spain
- Not added to any groups yet!