Hot Smoked SalmonFrom notyourmomma 2 years ago
- 3 to 3 1/2 lb. slabs of fresh salmon, skin on I had three slabs of fish overall shopping list
- 1/2 cup of kosher salt-non iodized important shopping list
- 1/2 cup of sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup of dried dill weed shopping list
- apple juice shopping list
- chunks of hickory wood shopping list
- hard wood charcoal briquettes shopping list
- fresh lemons shopping list
How to make it
- Mix the sugar, salt and dill.
- Rub into salmon fillets.
- Double wrap the fillets, first in plastic, then in foil
- Place in a 13 x 9 pan and weight with heavy cans to press the salmon.
- Leave in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Turn occasionally.
- Take out of frig.
- Discard the liquid in the pan
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Put on platter and let it "air" dry uncovered to form a dry skin in the refrigerator.
- Four hours before serving time, build a hot fire in a water smoker
- After fire is covered with a light coating of ash.
- Add smoked wood chunks to fire
- Add salmon skin side down on oiled rack.
- Add apple juice to water pan.
- Smoke 200 degrees for three hours.
- Serve with wedges of fresh lemon.