Beetroot ChutneyFrom danthecook 3 years ago
- 1.35kg/3lb beetroot shopping list
- 500g/1lb onions, peeled & chopped shopping list
- 600ml/1pt malt vinegar (own brand supermarket brown or clear) shopping list
- 750g/1½lb apples, peeled, cored & chopped shopping list
- 225g/8ozs sultanas or raisins shopping list
- 1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated shopping list
- 1tsp mustard seeds shopping list
- 1tsp salt shopping list
- 1kg/2lb sugar shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Wash the beetroot, cover with water and cook, unpeeled until just tender (45-60minutes). Drain, cool, peel and cut into cubes (or mash if you prefer for a smoother textured chutney).
- 2. Place onions in a pan with 150ml/¼pt of the vinegar and cook until soft. Add apples, sultanas/raisins and continue cooking until the apple is soft. Add the cooked beetroot, ginger, salt, mustard seeds and the remaining vinegar.
- 3. Simmer gently until thick and you can draw a channel through the chutney. Stir in the sugar, dissolve and continue cooking until the mixture thickens again.
- 4. Wash the jars well and sterilise. I do this by putting them in my vegetable steamer and steaming them for about 20 minutes with the lids as well.
- 5. Pot into the prepared jars. Place a waxed paper disc over the tops (or some baking parchment) and screw the lids tight. Cool and label. Store for four weeks to mature before eating.
The Cookdanthecook Orpington, UK
- Not added to any groups yet!