Is It Chili Or PB Soup?From elgourmand 3 years ago
- • About 4 cups of cooked pinto beans, plus 2 cups of bean juice, sub what you like. I used dried beans that I cooked a couple days ago but got about 4 cups of cooked. Canned will work but you may need to add water. shopping list
- • 1/4 lb mince meat, cooked. Sub what you like. shopping list
- • 4 slices smoked bacon, chopped & cooked. shopping list
- • 1/2 - 1 cup Portuguese sausage, chopped & cooked. shopping list
- • 1 med onion, chopped & cooked. shopping list
- • 3 or 5 plum tomatoes, chopped. shopping list
- • 1 stalk celery, chopped. shopping list
- • 1 tsp cumin. shopping list
- • 2 tsp paprika. shopping list
- • 1 Tbs chili powder. shopping list
- • 1 clove garlic, chopped fine or pressed. shopping list
- • 1 pint (2 cups or 500ml) chicken stock. I used a rich homemade but good store bought will do. shopping list
- • 1 tsp dried parsley or cilantro. shopping list
- • 1 Tbs olive oil, for the frying, optional. shopping list
- • 2 8” corn tortillas, cut into bits. shopping list
- • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, sub what you like. shopping list
- • cilantro, for the garnish. shopping list
- • salt & FG pepper to taste. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Put the beans in a suitable pot, I used a crock pot, and start heating them up.
- 2. Prep the bacon, Portuguese sausage & the veggies.
- 3. Add the oil, if using, to a suitable skillet & start simmering the bacon & onions.
- 4. Add the Portuguese sausage & the mince and cook a bit.
- 5. Add the celery & garlic & cook a bit more. You want all of this cooked and the veggies softened but nothing should get crispy.
- 6. When the stuff in the skillet is done add it to the beans.
- 7. Add everything else but the cheese & cilantro to the pot.
- 8. I cooked this in the crock pot on high for a couple hours and a nice simmer will blend all the flavors but you decide how much to cook it.
- 9. Serve in bowls, sprinkle on some cheese & add a bit of cilantro; or whatever.
- 10. Serve hot.
- I served this with a nice green salad and some more steamed corn tortillas but Keni would do Cornbread and that would be terrific.
The Cookelgourmand Apia, WS
- Not added to any groups yet!