Corn ChowderFrom rescue_ranger 5 years ago
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter shopping list
- 1 small onion, diced shopping list
- 1 small carrot, finely diced shopping list
- 1 small celery stalk, diced shopping list
- 3 med waxy potatoes diced shopping list
- 3 jalapeño peppers seeded and de-pithed and diced shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 cups yellow or white corn kernels, fresh or frozen shopping list
- 3 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 cups half-and-half shopping list
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, diced jalapeño peppers and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir to make a roux.
- Cook until the roux is lightly browned; set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine the corn, potatoes and chicken stock in another saucepan, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the boiling stock with the corn (a little at a time) into the saucepan with the roux, whisking briskly so it doesn't lump. Return the skillet to the heat and bring to a roiling simmer. The mixture should become very thick.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the half-and-half; stir it into the thick corn mixture. Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste. Just before serving, cut the remaining stick of butter into large chunks. Add it to enrich the soup, stirring until the butter melts.
- Serve in a fresh bread bowl
The Cookrescue_ranger New Baltimore, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!