Roast Duck With Honey Orange GlazeFrom icecreamuffin 3 years ago
- 1 to 3 4&1/2 lb duck(s) shopping list
- leaves of 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, minced shopping list
- leaves of 2 sprigs fresh sage, minced shopping list
- leaves of 2 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 part smoked paprika & garlic powder shopping list
- 1/3 part salt & Chinese five-spice shopping list
- 1/4 part black pepper shopping list
for the glaze
- for 3 ducks I used: shopping list
- 1 cup pure honey shopping list
- 1/2 cup orange juice shopping list
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp Chinese five-spice shopping list
- optional extras: chopped onions, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. to be arranged around the roasting pan & served with the duck. shopping list
How to make it
- Remove the innards and neck from inside your duck and warm them in a small pot of water. If you have someone like my husband or father-in-law around, they will want to snack on them. Mash up the liver and spread it on toast or crackers with some butter :). If that doesn't appeal to you, discard them & use the water you boiled them in as a base for gravy, or save it to use for soup broth later.
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the duck well and pat dry with paper towels. Pick out any feather pieces left in the skin (I found tweezers worked well). Score the duck's skin in a diamond pattern using a very sharp knife. Rub the duck with herbs and spices. Stuff the duck with sliced onions, herbs, etc. and arrange whatever veggies around the roasting pan, then place the duck(s) onto the rack.
- Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour, then remove, flip, poke the skin with your knife, and return to the oven for another hour. Repeat (3 hours total). This will result in a nice crispy skin.
for the glaze
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Brusk liberally over the duck, then roast at 450 for 15 more minutes, and you're done!
The Cookicecreamuffin Abilene, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!