Cilantro Goat Cheese Pesto Chicken Orzo With Lemon Asparagus & Caramelized OnionsFrom icecreamuffin 2 years ago
- 2 cups dry whole wheat orzo (to 2 quarts salted water) shopping list
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts shopping list
- sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, italian seasoning, garlic powder shopping list
- 1 large lemon, halved shopping list
- 1/2 cup white wine shopping list
- about 1 lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed shopping list
- 1 small yellow onion, diced shopping list
for the pesto:
- about 1&1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, chopped shopping list
- 2 ounces goat cheese shopping list
- 1 ounce shredded parmesan shopping list
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup raw almonds shopping list
- 1/2 cup raw cashews shopping list
- juice of 1/2 lemon shopping list
- s&p shopping list
How to make it
- Boil the salted water in a large pot. Cook orzo according to package directions (about 8 minutes) until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the starchy water and drain pasta. Add orzo to a large bowl and toss with a splash of olive oil to keep from sticking together.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil and heat on medium high. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. When the pan starts to smoke, add in the chicken and let brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Squeeze half the lemon's juice over the chicken. Deglaze the pan with the wine; turn the heat to medium low and cover, cooking until chicken is done. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing (if desired).
- Once chicken is removed from the pan, add a splash of olive oil (keeping all the leftover chicken juices) and heat on medium high. Add in the diced onion and cook until translucent. Chop the asparagus into 1" pieces and add to the pan. Squeeze the rest of the lemon juice over everything. Cook until asparagus is bright green, then remove from heat.
for the pesto:
- Pulse everything together in a food processor and season with s&p to taste. Add the pesto to the orzo, along with the reserved pasta water; mix well. Stir in the chicken pieces (or serve chicken whole). Serve the asparagus and onions alongside the chicken orzo.
The Cookicecreamuffin Abilene, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!