Star Anise And Ginger Braised ChickenFrom sm8085 2 years ago
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast shopping list
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/3 cup chinese rice wine/ dry sherry /sake shopping list
- 1/2 cup chicken stock/water shopping list
- 1 tbsp honey shopping list
- 1 star anise shopping list
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce, shopping list
- 3 to 4 tbsp orange juice shopping list
- 2 spring onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Place the chicken in the pan and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan. Add the ginger, garlic, rice wine, stock or water, honey, star anise, and soy sauce to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the orange juice and the chicken reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer very gently for 15 minutes. Then turn the chicken pieces and continue to simmer gently until cooked through, about 5 minutes more, depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Return the liquid to a simmer and reduce slightly, for around 2 minutes. Remove and discard the star anise. Return the chicken to the pan and turn to coat it in the sauce. Sprinkle with the spring onions.