Ham And Northern Bean Soup In A Crock PotFrom DetroitTokyo 5 years ago
- 1 pound Northern beans, picked over, soaked over night, drained & rinsed shopping list
- enough water to cover beans + 2 inches shopping list
- 3 fresh bay leaves shopping list
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves torn or roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 cup chopped celery shopping list
- 1 cup chopped carrots shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 cup smoked ham (I used Bavarian), cubed small shopping list
- 1 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1/4 tsp black pepper shopping list
- several drops liquid smoke (I used hickory flavor) shopping list
How to make it
- Place beans and water in crock pot with 2 bay leaves, half of rosemary, and half of salt. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4-5 hours - until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, or low 4-5 hours.
- Remove top and cook an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until thickened.