Stir-fried Eggplant With Homemade Chilli SauceFrom aravivel 2 years ago
- 2 medium eggplants, trimmed, halved shopping list
- 5 tbs peanut oil shopping list
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves, stems and roots, finely sliced shopping list
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced shopping list
- 1 tsp Sichuan pepper and salt shopping list
- Homemade chilli sauce : shopping list
- 1/2 cup peanut oil shopping list
- 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped shopping list
- 10 garlic cloves, roughly chopped shopping list
- 7cm piece ginger, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 tbs tamari soy sauce shopping list
- Sichuan pepper and salt shopping list
- 1 tbs Sichuan peppercorns shopping list
- 3 tbs sea salt flakes shopping list
How to make it
- Cut eggplant into 5cm irregular and same-sized pieces, then sprinkle well with sea salt and spread onto a tray in one layer. Set aside for at least 30 minutes. Rinse well, then drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- To make the chilli sauce, heat the oil in a wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly. Add chillies, garlic and ginger and stir constantly over medium heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook, still stirring, for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, then stir through the tamari.
- Dry-roast peppercorns and salt in small heavy-based frying pan until the peppercorns are fragrant and begin to 'pop'. Remove from the heat. Allow to cool, then grind to a powder in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. (You can store the mixture in an airtight container).
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly. Add eggplant and stir-fry over high heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and stir-fry for a further 5-7 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Add the chilli sauce to the eggplant and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the coriander and spring onions, tossing to combine.
- Transfer to a large serving plate and season with Sichuan pepper and salt. Serve immediately.
The Cookaravivel Chennai, India
- Not added to any groups yet!