Burmese Lamb/Chicken BiryaniFrom sm8085 4 years ago
- 4-5 cups basmati or jasmine rice shopping list
- 1 cup clarified butter shopping list
- 2-3 pounds lamb/ chicken, chopped into huge chunks shopping list
- 10 cups lamb/chicken stock shopping list
- 4 large onions, sliced finely shopping list
- 1 bunch cilantro shopping list
- 3-4 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 3 cloves, shopping list
- 6 cardamoms shopping list
- 4-5 green chilis, ground to a paste shopping list
- 3 tbsp garlic paste shopping list
- 1 cup yoghurt shopping list
- 1 cup coconut cream shopping list
- ¾ tsp turmeric shopping list
- Few strands of saffron, dissolved in milk shopping list
- 8 0z raisins shopping list
- 2 oz almonds shopping list
How to make it
- Marinate the chicken in yogurt, turmeric and pepper.
- Cook rice in the stock till it’s three quarters done. Drain and set aside.
- Heat half the clarified butter, fry onions. Drain and set aside.
- Into the same oil add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms. When the cloves splutter a bit, add turmeric and garlic+chilli paste. Lower heat and fry.
- Add the chicken and fry till the oil separates. Add coconut cream, saffron and salt to the chicken/lamb. Simmer till the lamb/chicken is tender.
- Into a large pot layer the rice, lamb/chicken, raisins and almonds. End with a layer of rice and spoon the dissolved saffron allover the rice. Cover and bake for 325F oven for 30 mins.