Gingersnap GranolaFrom keni 2 years ago
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats(not quick cooking) shopping list
- 1/2-3/4 cup wheat germ shopping list
- 1/2t salt shopping list
- 2T light cooking oil shopping list
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed ginger snap cookies(these are the inexpensive, hard, supermarket variety...no need to get fancy, here :) shopping list
- 1/2 cup shredded or shaved coconut shopping list
- 1/2 cup nuts(sliced almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios, etc, chopped, pine nuts or sunflower or pumpkin seeds or kernels) shopping list
- 1 heaping cup raisins or dried cranberries(or some of each, like I did :) shopping list
- 1t lime zest shopping list
- 1t vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 cup honey shopping list
- 1/3 cup water, divided shopping list
How to make it
- In large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, salt and nuts.
- In small saucepan, combine 1/4cup water, honey and oil and cook to boiling. Add lime zest and vanilla, reduce heat and simmer about 3 minutes.
- Carefully pour over oat mixture, reserving about 1/3 of the honey mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Run hands under cool water and, with wet hands, pick up handfuls of mixture and lightly "press" together and carefully drop on sprayed cookie sheet.
- Continue with remaining mixture. This technique will create the tasty granola "clumps" in the finished mix. If you don't want those, just dump the oat mixture on the sheet. :)
- Keep bowl handy :)
- Bake at 250 for about 30 minutes, carefully stirring after 15.
- Remove sheet from oven, let cool a couple minutes til able to handle and carefully put back into original bowl.
- Add raisins/cranberries, coconut and remaining honey mixture and water and toss to mix.
- Once again, with wet hands, drop handfuls of mixture back to cookie sheet, as above.
- Continue to bake about 15 minutes more, until fruits start to plump and granola is golden brown.