Lemon Yogurt LoafFrom hollyeats 1 year ago
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spelt works well too) shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cup fine sugar shopping list
- Zest of 1 large lemon, finely grated shopping list
- 3/4 cup plain thick Greek yogurt, any fat content shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (grapeseed is nice) shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or use 1/2 pkt vanilla sugar) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C; butter and flour a standard loaf pan. (Since there is no butter in the recipe, using butter to grease the pan makes a lovely-tasting crust!)
- Whisk together the flour, BP and salt in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, work the zest with your fingertips into the sugar until the oils have moistened the sugar. (If using vanilla sugar rather than extract, add it now.)
- Whisk in the yogurt (do not attempt to use standard yogurt; it must be the thick Greek style!), eggs and oil until well blended. If using liquid vanilla, add that too.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until just blended but still a bit lumpy, as for muffins.
- Pour into loaf pan and smooth top.
- Bake about an hour or until golden brown and a tester comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 minutes; turn it out and cool completely before cutting.
- Keeps at room temperature about 3 days and a week, well-wrapped, in the fridge.