Tangy Lemon SquaresFrom jo_jo_ba 3 years ago
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 3.5 oz non-hydrogenated shortening shopping list
- zest of 1 lemon shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- 1 egg white, for glazing shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup superfine (instant dissolving) sugar shopping list
- zest of 5 lemons shopping list
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tbsp custard powder (like Bird's) shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350F and generously grease an 8" square pan.
- In a coffee grinder, process the sugar to a fine powder. Add to a bowl with the flour and nutmeg.
- Add the shortening and blend with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly, then add the vanilla and water and mix until the dough comes together.
- Press into the bottom of the pan and brush generously with the egg white.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven (leave oven on) and place into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together the eggs, egg yolk, sugar, lemon zest, flour, custard powder, salt and lemon juice.
- Pour onto the base.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is set and golden.
- Cool to room temperature, then cover and chill overnight before cutting and serving.