Shrimp & Crab Egg RollsFrom oliviajasonkim 3 years ago
- 8 oz. bean sprouts, washed n patted dry shopping list
- 2 carrots, shredded or grated shopping list
- 1 lb imitation crab (or the real thing) shopping list
- 1/2 lb medium sized shrimp, shelled & deveined shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (1 tbsp garlic powder) shopping list
- 1 tsp brown sugar shopping list
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (green part only) shopping list
- 20 (6 or 8-inch) egg roll wrappers shopping list
- 1 beaten egg, for egg wash shopping list
- vegetable oil, for frying shopping list
- 1 tsp salt and ground pepper shopping list
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce shopping list
How to make it
- 1.In a non-stick frying pan, heat about 1 tbsp vegetable oil and saute the shredded carrots and beansprouts for approximately 3, 4 minutes or until tender. For the shrimp, be sure to drain and pat dry, then sprinkle some salt and pepper for seasoning. Shred the crab strings into 3 or 4-inch pieces by hand and set aside until wrapping.
- 2.To assemble a tootsie-roll design, place the wrapper squarely in front of you. Simply add about one spoonful of the carrot and beansprout mixture in the center, followed by several strings of crab meat and 2, 3 shrimp pieces. Roll forward (a la sushi) tightly and use the egg wash as a binder. For the open sides, apply some egg wash inside and pinch to close. To assemble as normal-shaped egg rolls, place wrapper diagonally facing you. After spooning ingredients in the center, roll the ends toward the center about 1/4-inch. Then, beginning at the bottom, roll up the wrapper, like a jelly roll, using a little of the egg wash to seal the end tightly. Repeat until ingredients and/or wrappers are used up.
- 3.In a wok or deep skillet, heat a generous amount of vegetable oil just enough to cover egg rolls. Heat the oil on medium-high heat for about 5~7 minutes before adding the egg rolls. Fry the egg rolls in batches until golden brown, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- 4.Plate on serving dish and enjoy with sweet chili sauce.
- *As with most egg roll recipes, you can mix and match ingredients to your personal preference. Most Chinese restaurants contain a hefty dose of ground pork, shredded cabbage varieties, mushrooms, and carrots. We like to keep it simple and focus on a few ingredients, that ultimately bring out desired flavors.
The Cookoliviajasonkim Madison, Wisconsin
- Not added to any groups yet!