Salted CaramelFrom tuilelaith 4 years ago
How to make it
- Method to make the caramel sauce:
- 1. Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal dutch oven or casserole, at least 6 quarts. Set over a moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy.
- 2. Use a wooden spoon begin stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center, delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going until it is melted completely and an amber color.
- 3. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown and starts to smoke. The darker you cook the sugar without burning it, the better the sauce will be. Don't let it burn.
- 4. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in about a quarter of the cream. The mixture will bubble up quickly, so you may wish to wear an oven mitt. Continue to whisk the cream, stirring as you go to make sure it's smooth. Stir in the butter and salt. * at this point mine had a large clump so i needed to put it back on the heat to smooth it all out. Strain into a pyrex and let cool. Will store in fridge up to one month.
- **** ADDED NOTE: I JUST MADE THIS RECIPE AGAIN AND WHEN I ADDED THE CREAM IT SEIZED UP BIG TIME. I RETURNED IT TO THE HEAT AND STIRRED FOR A LONG WHILE AND IT SMOOTHED OUT AMAZINGLY, SO DON'T GIVE UP!!! NEXT TIME I WILL TRY ADDING WARM CREAM INSTEAD OF COLD!
- For choc bars-melt choc and brush into molds. Chill. Add caramel and chill again. Add more choc on top and chill for the last time. Pop out of molds and enjoy!!!!!
The Cooktuilelaith Columbia, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!