Roasted Parsnip Parmesan SoupFrom hollyeats 3 years ago
- 450g (1 lb.) peeled parsnips, cut into lengths shopping list
- 50g (2 oz) Parmesan, grated shopping list
- 2 TBS olive oil shopping list
- 15g (1/2 oz) butter shopping list
- 1 finely chopped medium onion shopping list
- 1 TBS plain flour shopping list
- 1.35 liters (2 1/4 pints) chicken stock shopping list
- 4 TBS heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In boiling salted water, simmer parsnips for 3 minutes; drain well, and toss in 1/2 the Parmesan.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a roasting pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Arrange parsnips in the pan, add the butter and roast for 45 minutes, basting and turning 3 or 4 times.
- Drain the excess oil from the parsnip pan into a large pot.
- Cook the chopped onion in this on medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, or until soft but not colored.
- Stir in the flour and cook the roux for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the stock, stirring constantly, and bring to the boil.
- Add parsnips, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pureé soup, adding remaining Parmesan. When smooth, stir in cream just before serving; heat through but do not boil.