Schweinekrustenbraten ( Pork Roast W/ Crackling )From PongoUSA 4 years ago
- pork shoulder ( butt ) with skin still attached, about 5 lbs shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- 6 juniper berries, finely ground shopping list
- 1 tb garlic, granulated shopping list
- 2 tb paprika shopping list
- 3 carrots, roughly cut shopping list
- 1 med. onion, roughly cut shopping list
- 1 leek, roughly cut shopping list
- 4 stalks celery, roughly cut shopping list
- 1 bottle beer or hard apple cider shopping list
- 1 tb coarse mustard shopping list
- 2 tb sour creme shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 500 F. Score skin into about 1/2 inch squares, cut deep into fat, but not into the meat. Mix all the spices and rub into roast on all sides. Set roast on rack in a roasting pan, pour some water in the pan and roast pork, until the skin blisters, about 30 min. Turn down heat to 425 f, divide cut up veggies evenly in pan and roast for 3 or 4 more hours, adding water periodically, until the crackling is nice and crunchy. Take roast out the oven, lest rest for 20 min under foil.
- Pour roasting liquid and veggies over a sieve in a pot. Skim of fat, than puree half of the veggies with the roasting fond in a blender. Pour back in pot, add the beer or cider and reduce for a couple minutes. Mix in mustard and sour creme, adjust seasonings.
- Slice roast and serve with the crackling and sauce on the side. Bread or potato dumplings and green beans and/or red cabbage are traditional sides.
The CookPongoUSA San Francisco Peninsula, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!