BorschtschFrom PongoUSA 3 years ago
- 2 1/2 lb beef, for soups, like shanks, not too lean shopping list
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 2 leeks, halved and cleaned, cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 md. celery root, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 2 onion, with skin, halved shopping list
- some parsley sprigs shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1/2 ts peppercorns shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 sm cabbage, white, cut into thin strips shopping list
- 3 md. red beet, about 1 1/2 lb, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch strips shopping list
- 2 onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips shopping list
- 2 juniper berries shopping list
- 6 allspice berries shopping list
- 1 glove shopping list
- 1 ts caraway seeds shopping list
- 1 ts salt shopping list
- white vinegar shopping list
- 1 cup sour creme shopping list
- dill, fresh, minced shopping list
How to make it
- The day before, cook a nice, concentrated broth with the meat, veggies and s+p. Let cool, than pull meat of bones and fat, and put back in broth. Discard fat and bone, store broth in fridge. When the fat on the surface is hard, take off broth and reserve.
- The next day, melt fat in big soup pot. saute cabbage, red beets and onion, until soft. Meanwhile, roast the spices in a dry pan, until their aroma gets released. Grind, together with the salt, in a mortar or spice grinder. Add to the veggies in the pot and saute 1 or 2 more minutes. Add broth and simmer slowly for 30 min or so, until the vegetables are tender. Season the soup with s+p and lots of vinegar, it should have a distinctive sour taste. Add the meat and heat through.
- Laddle soup/stew into deep soup plates, add a tablespoon or so of sour cream and sprinkle with dill. Enjoy !
The CookPongoUSA San Francisco Peninsula, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!