24 Hour SaladFrom cjbarash 2 years ago
- 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits (in juice) shopping list
- 15 oz. can mandarin oranges (in juice) shopping list
- 8 oz. can mandarin oranges (in juice) shopping list
- 8 oz. can cherries (in water or juice) shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 3 Tbsp flour shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 cups marshmallows ** (see note below) shopping list
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut shopping list
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped (very stiff) shopping list
How to make it
- Drain juices from pineapple and oranges. Add juice from cherries or water, if necessary, to measure 1-1/2 cups. Set fruit aside.
- Combine eggs, flour, sugar and 1-1/2 cup juice in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until thick and boiling.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice.
- Pour into glass bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly touching the custard (to prevent a skin from forming) and chill in the refrigerator until cold (at least a few hours).
- When custard is cold, fold in drained fruits, marshmallows, coconut and pecans.
- Gently fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into serving bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill 24 hours before serving.
- My Grandma used regular sized marshmallows and cut them into small pieces using scissors. When asked why she didn't use mini marshmallows she replied "they just don't taste the same". So, when cutting marshmallows with scissors, it's handy to have a bowl of very hot water to dip the scissors in because they get very sticky.
The Cookcjbarash Humble, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!