Homemade Bread (kind Of Challah)From improvisingfood 3 years ago
How to make it
- The bread mixture: use a mixer to mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and add only the water for now. Mix slowly for a minute until the flour and the water are combined. Add one egg (we will use the other to brush the bread later) and allow it to mix in as well.
- Just now add the oil and mix for 15 minutes. It looks like the oil is not integrating well into the dough, but just let it mix on average speed and it will be just fine.
- Cover with a plastic wrap (or a plastic supermarket bag as you can see) and put a cloth on the bowl to make sure it stays warm. Put the bowl aside and allow it to rise for about an hour and 15 minutes until it doubles its size. Pull the dough out of the bowl and gently knead it for a few seconds until the air is out of the dough. Slice the dough to two pieces and cover with a cloth for another 20 minutes. It will almost double again.
- Shaping the bread: we decided to go for braided bread and rolls bread. Cut parchment paper to the appropriate size and spray with oil, just to make sure it won’t stick. Arrange the breads in pans. When arranging the rolls make sure you leave some room for the dough to rise some more See Photo. Cover the pans for about 45 minutes. You will know its ready when you gently press the dough with your your finger and it reacts as a sponge and will slightly push back. See Photo
- Brushing the bread: Remove half of the egg white and whisk the rest of the egg. Brush the bread with the whisked egg, it will help color the bread with that gorgeous golden brown color. As for toppings, picking different topping for each roll is pretty cool and comes up beautifully. See Photo
- Bake in 320F/160C for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. The house will smell amazing, and the bread comes out soft and somewhat sweet.Enjoy. See Photo
The Cookimprovisingfood Bay Area, California
- Not added to any groups yet!