Kartoffelknoedel ( Potato Dumplings )From PongoUSA 3 years ago
How to make it
- Put potatoes in pot and cover with salted water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook, until potatoes are tender, about 15 min. Strain potatoes, let cool somewhat and put through a potato ricer in a big bowl. Cover with a towel and let cool completely, at least two hours.
- Fry bread cubes in butter, until nicely browned. Salt and let cool.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Take one quarter of potato out of the bowl and fill the hole with flour, scant to the top of the potatoes in the bowl. Add egg, salt and reserved potatoes, knead to a smooth dough. With wet hands, take about a 3/4 cup of dough into your hand, flatten it somewhat and put some bread cubes in the middle. Enclose the bread with the dough and form a round ball, a dumpling. set on a tray and prepare the rest of the dumplings. Put all dumplings into the boiling water, reduce the heat and let the dumplings simmer for about 20 minutes. They are done, when they rise to the top. Don't let the water come back to a boil, the dumplings will fall apart.
- With a slotted spoon, take the dumplings out of the water, put into a warm serving bowl and serve.
- Leftovers are great sliced up into 1/2 inch slices and fried in butter, until crispy and brown.