Baked Orzo With Fragrant LambFrom notyourmomma 9 months ago
- 1 1/2 cups of orzo shopping list
- 1 lb. of lean ground lamb shopping list
- 1 onion chopped shopping list
- 2 large cloves of garlic chopped shopping list
- 1/2 of a fennel bulb sliced thin and then chopped shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of marjoram shopping list
- 1/4 tsp of oregano shopping list
- 1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes and their juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste shopping list
- 1 jigger of dry vermouth shopping list
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper (I used Alleppo pepper) shopping list
- 6 ounces of low fat crumbled feta (about 1 cup) shopping list
- enough grated parmesan cheese to cover the top of the casserole, maybe 1/3 cup shopping list
How to make it
- Cook orzo according to directions on package. Drain.
- In a non stick skillet, spray with cooking spray and brown the lamb and crumble into small pieces. Drain off fat and reserve.
- In same skillet, cook onions, fennel, garlic and herbs until softened slightly.
- Add the lamb, tomatoes, seasonings, tomato paste and vermouth.
- Add orzo and feta, stir to combine. (If it seems to dry at this point add a little chicken stock)
- Pour into a sprayed 13 x 9 pan.
- Top with parmesan cheese. Bake until bubbly in 350 degree oven. 20 minutes
- I added the vermouth and alleppo pepper to the basic recipe.
- I had more lamb, fennel, feta and parmesan than the original recipe.
- The original recipe from WW was in an 8 inch square pan for 6.
- Our version scaled up to a 13 x 9 pan for 8. Or half a pan for Fred and the remainder for us. LOL
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!