Boiled LobsterFrom pkusmc 3 years ago
How to make it
- You'll need a large pot in order to be able to cook two lobsters at once. An 8 quart pot can handle them, but it's cutting it close. I use a 15 qt lobster pot.
- Before you begin, place the live lobsters in the freezer for about 10 minutes or so. This slows down their metabolism and keeps them from going crazy when you put them in the jacuzzi
- Add the salt to the water. Generally you want 2 T of salt to each quart of water. This sounds like a lot, but it replicates sea water, and the flavor is much better.
- Once the water comes to a boil, place the lobsters in head first. People say this is the most humane thing to do, but trust me, if the lobsters are above 1 1/2 lbs each, their body temps lower the water temp too much. They still kick for a while...sorry!
- Don't cover the pot...you'll end up with a mess as it always tends to boil over...
- Once the water starts to boil again, start timing. A 2 pounder will take about 20 minutes. Two in the same pot will add a little time...25 minutes for two. They should be bright red all around
- Remove them from the water and rinse with cold water. This gets all the foam off of them and makes them easier to eat
- Remove the tails by grasping tightly and twisting. If you don't like the green stuff (tomalley) rinse that off, too.
- With a sharp knife, score down the center of the bottom of the tail, and 'pop' the meat out by folding the tail back
- Remove the legs by twisting, and use a nut cracker to get the meat out of those.
- The smaller legs you can either suck on, like I do, or roll the meat out with a small rolling pin
- Melt some butter and enjoy!!