Red Lentil Soup With A Spicy SizzleFrom otterpond 3 years ago
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 2 onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups) shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed (see Tip) shopping list
- 1/3 cup bulgur shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon paprika shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 can diced tomatoes shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook for 1 minute. Add broth, lentils, bulgur, tomato paste and bay leaf; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils and bulgur are very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Ladle about 4 cups of the soup into a food processor and puree. Return the pureed soup to the soup pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice and season with pepper.
- Just before serving, ladle the soup into bowls. Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a small skillet and stir in paprika and cayenne. Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of the sizzling spice mixture over each bowlful and serve immediately.
- TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Tip: You can replace red lentils with brown lentils; add 1/2 cup water and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
- Per serving: 218 calories; 5 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 5 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
- Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (29% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
The Cookotterpond Orlando, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!