Rabbit StewFrom psychickaraoke 1 year ago
- The Mirepoix: shopping list
- 1.5 c pearl onions (frozen is okay) shopping list
- 5 stalks celery shopping list
- 5 carrots shopping list
- The Punch: shopping list
- 1/2 lb smoked bacon shopping list
- 3 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 tb each whole cloves, pepper corns, cinnamon, & dried cranberries shopping list
- sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary, oregano &/or marjoram to taste shopping list
- The Juice: shopping list
- 1/2 bottle of dry red wine shopping list
- 1.5 c or 1 can of sweet tomatoes, like San Marzano shopping list
- The Rabbit: shopping list
- 1 fresh, quartered 5lb rabbit, preferably with liver, brined for at least 24 hrs. chicken liver is an okay substitute. shopping list
How to make it
- heat dutch oven over medium heat, fry bacon until just done about 5 minutes
- lay room temp. patted dry rabbit down on to bacon without overlapping over high heat. do more than one batch if you have to. maintaining high heat for this step is crucial. all hail the Maillard Reaction! if the rabbit starts giving off juices, turn up the heat. once all sides are browned, remove rabbit, salt, and cover. See Photo
- add roughly chopped mirepoix to bacon, reducing heat to medium high, stirring constantly.
- add liver & all spices
- when liver starts to change color, share your bottle of wine with the dutch oven See Photo. it's polite to let it smell the cork. add tomatoes and rabbit & bring to a boil.
- reduce heat to a gentle simmer & let it cook until the meat is very tender, at least one hour.
- while waiting, prepare your stew base or finish that bottle of wine if you have something suitable already made.
- serve over polenta, mashed potatoes, or other savory porridge.
The Cookpsychickaraoke Athens, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!