Candied Watermelon RindFrom jo_jo_ba 1 year ago
- 4 cups watermelon rind, green parts peeled off and remainder diced (23.2 oz prepared) shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- zest of 2 lemons shopping list
- 1/3 cup lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 8 cardamom pods shopping list
- 6 Schezuan peppercorns shopping list
How to make it
- Place watermelon rind in a deep pot and add the sugar.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight (at least 4 hours) to macerate.
- In the morning, bring to a simmer, stirring to thoroughly dissolve the sugar.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Cubes will be translucent when done.
- Uncover and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring often, to reduce the syrup to a thick caramel-like liquid.
- While still hot, ladle into sterilized jars and process in a waterbath for 30 minutes (the original calls for turning the jars upside down for a minute to create a seal but to correlate with the US safety guidelines I suggest waterbath canning for shelf-storage. If you’re keeping it in the fridge, skip this part!).
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
Sweet Tooth446 members
Gluten Free No Wheat240 members
Cooking For Food Allergies45 members
The Incredible Allergens8 members
Fresh Food Cooking119 members
Special NeedsRestricted55 members
Christmas All Year181 members
Eggless Cooking Egg Substitues50 members
Dairy Free110 members