Spicy Kale Beef RollsFrom luisascatering 1 year ago
- For fresh tomato sauce: shopping list
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, diced finely, divided shopping list
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- pinch of cinnamon shopping list
- 6-8 medium heirloom tomatoes shopping list
- 2 tbsp local raw honey shopping list
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar shopping list
- ~ shopping list
- 2 large bunches of lacinato or other large-leaf, non-curly kale, rinsed and patted dry shopping list
- ~ shopping list
- 1 lb organic ground beef shopping list
- 1 large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced shopping list
- 2 small red hot chili peppers, minced shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- Splash of soy sauce shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot (that has a fitted lid for later), heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and the cinnamon and stir well. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Place half the onion mixture in a bowl with the ground beef. Add the tomatoes, honey and vinegar to the pot and stir well. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer while you prepare the kale and beef.
- Use a sharp knife to gently slice the kale leaves off of their stems. Discard the stems, remove the middle rib and set the leaves aside. These will be wrapping for your meat filling.
- To make the beef mixture, combine the onions and garlic with the ground beef, the parsley, the chili peppers, egg, 1 liberal pinch each of salt and pepper, and the soy sauce. Use your hands to combine the meat mixture well. Wash your hands well.
- Lay a kale leaf smooth side down. Use your hands (it helps if they are a little bit wet) to shape 2-3 tbsp of the beef mixture (depending on the size of your kale leaf--just use your judgment) into a cylinder shape.
- Starting at the widest part of the kale, roll the meat up. Repeat with the remaining beef and kale.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste, then place the kale rolls, seam-side-down into the sauce. Turn the heat up to medium-low, cover the pot and cook the rolls for 25-30 minutes, or until the kale is soft and the meat is just cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove the rolls from the sauce and turn the heat up to medium-high. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens a bit.
- To serve, spoon most of the sauce into bowls or onto plates and top with the kale rolls.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!