Leftover Macaroni & Cheese With MeatballsFrom champagnetime 8 months ago
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni, or pasta of your choice (about 4 oz.) shopping list
- 16 leftover meatballs shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons flour shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups milk shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) grated pepper Jack cheese shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2/3 cup panko or dried bread crumbs mixed with 2 oz. grated pepper Jack cheese for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until tender, about 9 minutes.
- While macaroni cooks, microwave the meatballs to heat (if frozen, about 2 minutes). Cut meatballs in half and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium-size saucepan. Add flour and, stirring constantly, cook on medium-low heat for 1 minute to cook out the flour taste. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly, and cook for 3 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Sprinkle cheese over the milk mixture and stir until it melts. Remove sauce from heat until noodles are done.
- When noodles are just tender, remove from heat and drain thoroughly. Pour drained noodles into pan with cheese sauce, add meatballs, gently stir to mix well, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a baking dish; pull the meatballs to the top, cut side down on the pasta, and garnish with the panko and cheese mixture. Bake for 25 minutes until topping is browning.
- a Chef's Journey recipe from "I Have LEFTOVERS...What Do I Do Now?" cookbook